Annoy your users by yelling at them for wasting your bandwidth and using ad blockers.
This free plugin for Joomla 4 enables you to detect when users are running ad blockers on your website.
If an ad blocker is detected, you can...
- Blur the background and show a message pop-up until the user turns their ad-blocker off - the forceful approach
- Show a message pop-up and allow the user to dismiss it - The nicer approach
- Show a warning in a module and nicely ask the user to disable it (does not block the page) - The nicest approach
This ad block detector won't work with every ad blocker. I've tested it with several major ones, but notably, I know it won't work with Ublock Origin.Download on Github
- Install the plugin and enable it with the plugin manager.
- The module is optional. Install it if you want to show the message in a certain module position. If you plan on using the dialog, you don't need the module.
- Go to the plugin's settings and configure it to your liking. Each field is described.
- I cannot guarantee the effectiveness of this extension. Ad blockers are always finding new ways of getting around detectors.
- People may be more likely to leave your site entirely if you show them a message asking them to disable the ad blocker. This means you could have a smaller user base and your site growth may slow. You need to weigh how important it really is to use the ad block detector.
- Test this on your website and make sure it's working right. You don't want to accidentally be showing messages to people who aren't using ad-blockers.
- I do not know how caching will affect the plugin or the module.
- Works by waiting for a JS fetch from an ad network and displays message after ~3 seconds if no response is received.